It is not known exactly when and how the practice of the western medicine
started in Chittagong, the extreme southeastern part of the Indian Peninsula. No
reliable information is available before the establishment in 1901 of a 200-bed
“Chittagong General Hospital” over a hilltop at the downtown Anderkillah
overlooking the river Karnafuli- the only modern hospital in the region at the
time. This hospital served the entire population of Chittagong Division.
With the passage of time it was felt necessary to enhance healthcare facilities
as well as the quality of healthcare. Consequently, a four-year Licentiate
course in Medicine was introduced in the subcontinent to produce sufficient
number of mid-level physician to serve mainly the rural population. The
institutes that conducted this course were called “Medical School”. One such
institution, Chittagong Medical School, was established in Chittagong in 1927.
In 1956, the after government decided to establish a medical college in
Chittagong. It was to be the second of such institution after Dhaka Medical
College established eight years earlier in 1948, in the Eastern province of the
erstwhile Pakistan, which later on went on to emerge as the independent state of
Bangladesh in 1971. In 1957, the Chittagong medical College came into being.
Befittingly, this instruction has earned the admiration of all by actively
participating in the great Liberation war of BANGLADESH in 1971. Many students
and teachers of this college fought gallantly to significantly contribute
towards achieving the final Victory.